Monday, July 12, 2010

The magic of sisterhood

This past week I had the opportunity to attend Sigma Kappa Sorority's 84th Convention in Orlando Florida. This is the second time I have gone to Convention (it only occurs every 2 years) and I will be honest, I was a little apprehensive about going. I was excited to go to Orlando and be a part of the Grand Chapter celebration, but it would be the longest I had ever been away from Ben and I was still getting used to being involved in my sorority as an alumna member.

However, this past week at Convention was an amazing experience; "magical", if you will. I work with Greek students every day and talk to them about how joining a fraternity or sorority is a life-long commitment not just a club that you participate in for three or four years in college. And although I have been involved with Sigma Kappa since I moved back to Missouri, I didn't really feel the sisterhood aspect. Until this past week! I spent five days with inspiring women from all over the country. The business of the sorority was done over the time that we were all together and we celebrated our ritual together. We ate and danced like fools at the Confirmed Conventionite Celebration. And we spent an evening at the happiest place on earth: Disney World!!! My time with sorority sisters of all ages was an experience that I won't forget. I realized this week in Orlando what being a life-long member of a sorority is all about. I know that the sisters that I connected with over the last five days will be in my life for the duration. I also know that I am more committed to Sigma Kappa now than I have ever been. I know that I am inspired to be the best me that I can be every day. I know that I have to define my own success. And I also know that I have to put all of this into a conversation that I can use with the students I work with at Mizzou. Hopefully my experience will help show them that it is not just about four years.

I am looking forward to Convention in 2012 in Houston, Texas. Until then: personal growth, loyalty, service, and friendship will remain my focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment