Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ready to run

I decided that since I had a few personal days to use at work that I would take them this week. This morning, I was able to sleep in a little bit and then I went for my morning run with Chris and Ben, instead of by myself like normal. The run was awesome!!! We ran a little more than 4.5 miles and I ran the entire way! This was the longest run that I have done, running the whole thing. It felt good and to top it off the company was great and the weather was amazing (especially for the first of July).

My run this morning really made me think about the progress that I have made on my journey to become a runner, not just a wanna-be runner. Chris started the Eagle Running Club at the beginning of the summer and I set a goal to run 100 miles over 3 months. I thought I would be able to hit 100 if I really stayed committed to running a few times a week. Well, my current total is just over 60 miles!! The running program that Chris has helped me with is working out! I run an average of 4 times a week and I am getting stubborn about not running less than 3 miles in each outing. And I am even starting to enjoy it quite a bit!

There are many reasons that I want to be a runner. I think it is a huge challenge and one that I want to conquer! Running is also something that has become my personal time. Whether I am on the road or at the gym, it is my little slice of the day (typically first thing in the morning) to get my life organized for what is ahead. I am amazed at how different my days are when I don't get my exercise in! Another reason would have to be the physical results. That could never be a negative thing. Finally, one reason that I want to be a runner is something that was pointed out in the new book I am reading: Run Like a Mother. By being an active parent, I am making physical activity the norm in Ben's life and not something that is done at recess or in gym class. And I think that is really cool. That makes me feel like I am earning some good mom points by running.

So the moral of the story is...if I can do it, anyone can do it! If you want to run, pick a route and get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment