Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Election Day

I wasn't planning on posting for a few days, but I was very moved to write after I went to vote this afternoon. I have always tried to make it a priority to vote on any election and when I do vote (which is most of the time) I feel so empowered afterwards. I know it might seem cheesy, but what a wonderful responsibility we have to be able to vote.

Although I believe it is a responsibility for Americans to vote, I believe that it is very much a privelege and I think that we are very lucky to have this responsibility. I think this is also very important to me because I am a woman and women's issues are of regular interest to me both personally and professionally. I am reading a book right now called "Half the Sky". It is about the many areas of the world where women are oppressed and abused, and worse. I came upon the book through a new group that I joined on Facebook called the Circle of Sisterhood Foundation. Reading the book makes me realize even more how much of a responsibility that I have to stand up for what is right and to teach other women that they can do it too. As the book discusses and the Circle of Sisterhood advocates, education can make big changes in the world. I am excited about the good that I know I can do in the near and far future.

Speaking of empowerment...I completed my first day of 30 Day Shred for August. It was the first time I did the workout in a month. It felt so good to sweat...a lot! I love it! I decided that I am going to do 30DS two nights on and one night off. We'll see how it goes. I am excited for my August physical well-being goals. I think the better I feel about myself, the more motivated I am to do good for others. Also, I added the DailyMile widget to my blog to hold myself accountable to my milage goals. Here's to August!

No comments:

Post a Comment