Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Motivated! Motivated! Let's Get Motivated!!!

Sorority Recruitment is right around the corner at Mizzou! This is one of the busiest times of the year for me at work, but it is also one of my favorites. This week ("work week") and next week, which is actually Recruitment week are unlike any other times during the year. I really like doing all of the logistical work in planning and preparing for an event for over 4000 people, but mostly I love the idea that next weekend, young women who are coming to college for the first time will be finding their forever "home" in a sorority.

I have many memories of the 10+ recruitments that I have been a part of. But there is one that stands out quite vividly in my mind, especially during this time of the year. I was attending the Panhellenic Welcome at Truman State University in September of 2000. I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into. But I will never forget hearing Sal Costa talk about what sorority could bring to a student. He passionately talked about how the women we would be meeting (as potential members) would be the bridesmaids at our weddings and the Godmothers of our unborn children (typing this does not give it the justice his voice deserves and that I have in my mind!). I was more than a little overwhelmed at the time, but looking back now, I know it is true. I wish that I could convey this (in a not scary way) to the women who are starting the same process on Sunday at the University of Missouri. Sorority is not a four year club, it is a lifetime commitment.

On another note...I am finding it hard to continue to be motivated in my work-out goals. Part of this problem is that I am taking a time-out from running. Partially because I just wasn't feeling it and also because I am having some issues with my ankle. So I am on hiatus. I have still been going to the gym to get in some good cardio and I have also been doing the 30 Day Shred (2 days on, 1 day off). I am seeing results, but I am not too interested in continuing. So in honor of recruitment practice and meetings, I am reminding myself to Get Motivated! and Get Dedicated! Hopefully this little mantra will get me through this tough time too!

No comments:

Post a Comment